Skip to main content

“ If on a Winter’s Night a Traveller” by Italo Calvino

 Welcome to my seventh blog post! This week, I want to dive into a book that's really unlike anything I've ever read before: "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" by Italo Calvino. This book is special, not because it's difficult to read at first, but because of how Calvino tells the story in a completely unique way.

Right from the beginning, the book talks directly to you, the reader, about how you're picking up the book and starting to read it. At first, this direct address might be a bit confusing, but as you start to connect the dots between the different stories, you can't help but get drawn into it. It's like imagining yourself picking up a book and suddenly feeling like the author is speaking directly to you, detailing your every action as you read.

The whole book revolves around you, the reader, and another character named Ludmilla. Together, it's like you're going on an adventure, searching for the missing pieces of the stories and piecing them together. It really got me wondering about why people love reading, and admire the magic of stories that can transport us away from reality.

What's really cool about Calvino's writing is how he blends reality and fiction. Sometimes, you feel like you're right there in the story, experiencing everything alongside the characters. Other times, you're just reading about it, but it still feels incredibly immersive. It's like he's playing a game with your imagination, and it's so much fun to be a part of. I like to think of the book as a delicious cake with different layers of flavor. Each chapter is like a different tasty layer that adds depth and richness to the reading experience. And instead of just one main story, there are all these little short stories woven throughout, making the whole thing even more exciting.

But "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" isn't just about reading; it's also about the relationship between the author, the reader, and the story itself. Calvino wants us to think about how stories are made and how they affect us, he challenges our perception of reality by blurring the lines between author and character, making us question what's real and what's not.

Then, there's the unexpected twist at the end where "the reader" decides to marry Ludmilla, blurring the lines between fiction and reality even further. It's a reminder that what's real can change depending on how we see things, and that everyone's view of reality is different.

Overall, "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" is a thought-provoking and enjoyable read. It's different from anything else out there, but if I’m willing to go on the journey like this ever again, it's definitely worth to review. Some may find Calvino's storytelling style a bit disorienting, but for others like me, it's a breath of fresh air. It's like taking a trip into the imagination, where anything is possible.

My question for this week is “have you ever read a book that has a similar style as this book? If so, which book do you recommend?”

Comments

Indra said…
Hey Fiona! I enjoyed reading your blog this week, and I loved how you compared the novel to a cake enriched with layers of different flavors. I also loved the ending, when the Reader and Ludmilla got married - it felt like an ironic play on stereotypical endings of novels and literature, especially with the quote before the last chapter. To answer your question, I’ve never really read other books like this and it may be why I enjoyed it so much.. It was like, as you said, a breath of fresh air!! I would love to read other literature similar to this one.
Sofia Almerling said…
Hi! I enjoyed reading your blog post and how you talked about the narrator was talking to us and how we are drawn into the story. This was the first book that I read that had multiple stories that followed into one at the end, I thought this book was very unique in that way!
-Sofia Almerling
Sofia Almerling said…
Hi, I enjoyed reading your blog post and how you said the narrator talks to us in the novel. This is the first book that I read that has multiple stories that follows into one into the end. I think the book is very unique in that way!
-Sofia Almerling
Alizey said…
Hi Fiona! Your blog post was interesting to read since I hated this book, so it was cool to see you explain it in a positive way. I can’t say I still like this book but I appreciate your outlook! Also, to answer your question I haven’t really read a book like this except for maybe Labyrinths by Jorge Borges, which was confusing just like this. I don’t recommend that book unless you want to break your mind :)
Alizey said…
Hi Fiona! I enjoyed reading your blog post, especially because I hated this book so it was interesting to read your positive outlook. To answer your question I haven't read a book exactly like this but I did read Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges in SPAN 312C. I also did not enjoy that book because it was a mind-twister but if you're interested in stuff like that, give it a shot :)
Alizey said…
Hi Fiona! I enjoyed reading your blog post, especially because I hated this book so it was interesting to read your positive outlook. To answer your question I haven't read a book exactly like this but I did read Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges in SPAN 312C. I also did not enjoy that book because it was a mind-twister but if you're interested in stuff like that, give it a shot :)
Alizey said…
Hi Fiona! I enjoyed reading your blog post, especially because I hated this book so it was interesting to read your positive outlook. To answer your question I haven't read a book exactly like this but I did read Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges in SPAN 312C. I also did not enjoy that book because it was a mind-twister but if you're interested in stuff like that, give it a shot :)

Popular posts from this blog

“The Time of the Doves” by Mercè Rodoreda

Welcome to my sixth blog! This week I read “The Time of Doves” by Mercè Rodoreda. The story intricately tells the story of Natalia, who endures two marriages against the tumultuous backdrop of the Spanish Civil War. Natalia is initially attracted to Quimet after a chance encounter in a square, but their marriage is fraught with difficulties as Quimet joins the army during the war, leaving Natalia to take care of the children all by herself. Quimet's death further deepened her descent into poverty, prompting Natalia to consider the unthinkable: ending her own life and that of her children. Antonio became a beacon of hope in this dire situation, ultimately leading to a more prosperous life for Natalia after her marriage. As her children grow up, Natalia returns to the square and unearths repressed emotions from her past. The story profoundly demonstrates Natalia's resilience as a mother and prompts people to reflect on the traditional boundaries of marriage and the role of women

“Nada” by Cameron Lafore

Welcome to my fifth blog! This week I read “Nada” by Cameron Laforet. I enjoyed reading this book more than the previous ones, so I spend extra time and effort writing this blog. I hope you’ll enjoy reading it. Carmen Laforet’s "Nada" is a fascinating work of literature that immerses the reader in the disturbance of post-war Spain through the eyes of its protagonist Andrea. Laforet tells a story that dives into the complex dynamics of family, social upheaval, and personal growth, all against the backdrop of a country grappling with the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War. The novel's protagonist is Andrea, an 18-year-old woman whose journey is a profound exploration of resilience and identity in the face of adversity. As Andrea transitions from the countryside to the bustling streets of Barcelona, she encounters a world very different from the one she imagined. Her grandmother's once grand house is now a relic of its former glory, divided into apartments and inhabited