Skip to main content

On the surface: My conclusion. On the inside: IT’S OVER! AHHHAHAHAHAARARAGSHGAHASFKDHAKDHQKDHWKDHPAHFKSHDODHAKDGSKSHS

 Welcome to my final blog for this course! Since we are done with the novels and it is almost the end of the semester, I completely expressed my true self in this post. No matter how much rewriting I’ve done to make myself sound a least a bit more serious, the joy of making through this year still overtook me in the end. This introduction should be enough to reach over 400 words… Ok enough chitchatting, here is my experience with this course!

When I signed up for this course, I was kinda mentally gearing up for a hard time. I figured, hey, gotta tick that literature box for my major requirement, right? But, was I pleasantly surprised! RMST 202 turned out to be a real gem this semester, defying all my expectations!

I never thought I'd end up loving it this much. From our class chats to diving into everyone's blog posts, and yeah, even reading those novels I'd probably never touch otherwise, I genuinely feel like I've gained so much more from this course than I bargained for. It's been a blast, wholeheartedly. Right from the get-go, this course was different. Who knew you could actually pick your grade before diving into the content? But you know what? It worked! Having that clarity upfront made the whole experience way less stressful. Plus, it kept me on track, knowing exactly what I was aiming for each week.

I was half-expecting this to feel like another high school English class, you know, where the teacher's constantly prodding you to dig deeper into every little detail of a book. But our professor, Jon? He's the real deal, his questions got us thinking about stuff that actually mattered, not just hunting for symbolism in every paragraph. I also really admire his passion for the material.

The blog posts were a neat touch too. It's cool to know we'll have something to look back on even after the course wraps up, and getting comments on my posts made me feel like I was actually connecting with people, not just typing for a grade. Now let's talk about those books! Some of them were way out of my comfort zone, but now? Couldn't be happier I read them. "Money to Burn" and "Death with Interruptions" are gonna stick with me for a long time. Their storytelling styles? Mind-blowing.

So, what's the biggest takeaway from all this? Well, beyond dissecting themes and characters, this course really showed me the power of expressing yourself and bouncing ideas off others. It's been a ride, for sure.In the end, RMST 202 wasn't just another course to check off. It was a journey—one I'm grateful to have taken. Can't wait to see how it shapes my future adventures.

My discussion question is “what was your favourite drink you drank while reading the novels?”

Thank you for reading !

Comments

Daniel Orizaga said…
Personally, I loved seeing how each week you allowed yourself more freedom in writing your blogs, reading how you experimented to find your own voice while talking about the novels. Thank you for allowing me to be part of that process. (P.s Yes, Jon is the real deal ;) )

Fiona, I'm glad you enjoyed the course, and that by the end at least you felt more free to express yourself!

Thanks for all your contributions, and have a great summer!

Popular posts from this blog

“ If on a Winter’s Night a Traveller” by Italo Calvino

 Welcome to my seventh blog post! This week, I want to dive into a book that's really unlike anything I've ever read before: "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" by Italo Calvino. This book is special, not because it's difficult to read at first, but because of how Calvino tells the story in a completely unique way. Right from the beginning, the book talks directly to you, the reader, about how you're picking up the book and starting to read it. At first, this direct address might be a bit confusing, but as you start to connect the dots between the different stories, you can't help but get drawn into it. It's like imagining yourself picking up a book and suddenly feeling like the author is speaking directly to you, detailing your every action as you read. The whole book revolves around you, the reader, and another character named Ludmilla. Together, it's like you're going on an adventure, searching for the missing pieces of the stories and p

“The Time of the Doves” by Mercè Rodoreda

Welcome to my sixth blog! This week I read “The Time of Doves” by Mercè Rodoreda. The story intricately tells the story of Natalia, who endures two marriages against the tumultuous backdrop of the Spanish Civil War. Natalia is initially attracted to Quimet after a chance encounter in a square, but their marriage is fraught with difficulties as Quimet joins the army during the war, leaving Natalia to take care of the children all by herself. Quimet's death further deepened her descent into poverty, prompting Natalia to consider the unthinkable: ending her own life and that of her children. Antonio became a beacon of hope in this dire situation, ultimately leading to a more prosperous life for Natalia after her marriage. As her children grow up, Natalia returns to the square and unearths repressed emotions from her past. The story profoundly demonstrates Natalia's resilience as a mother and prompts people to reflect on the traditional boundaries of marriage and the role of women

“Death with Interruptions” by José Saramago

Welcome to my ninth blog! This week I read "Death with Interruptions" by José Saramago. "Death with Interruptions" is undoubtedly a novel that has left an indelible mark on me. From its captivating premise to its profound exploration of life's complexity, death's mysteries, and the essence of humanity, this novel really stands out from the all the novels that I’ve read so far. One of the most striking aspects of the book is Saramago's adeptness at seamlessly blending fiction with philosophical inquiry. As the narrative unfolds, as a reader of this book, I got treated to heartfelt reflections on the nature of existence itself. The quote, "Death went back to bed, our her arms around the man and, without understanding what was happening to her, she who never slept felt gently closing her eyelids. The following day, no one died” (238) is a poignant example of Saramago's ability to humanize death, inviting readers to reassess their perceptions of mor